The C.V. Starr East Asian Library seeks a motivated and detail-oriented Bibliographic Assistant VI to work on the acquisitions, cataloging and binding processes of Tibetan language and Tibetan studies materials.
As a member of the Technical Services staff, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Ordering Tibetan language materials (and some Chinese language materials on Tibetan studies) in all formats, including reviewing order requests, preorder searching or verification of information via CLIO and OCLC, creating orders on CLIO, and forwarding orders to vendors, etc.;
- Receiving, unpacking and sorting materials, including checking materials received against invoices and the order records, maintaining and updating the order records in CLIO, check-in serial issues in CLIO, reporting problematic receipts to supervisor, processing the received items by stamping, tattle-taping and writing call numbers on each issue for serials, shelving the materials, maintaining and reporting monthly statistics, etc.;
- Processing invoices, including paying each invoice online, checking that the total should match the invoice total, submitting invoices to supervisor for approval, matching invoices with payment voucher and submitting them to the Acquisitions Department;
- Preparing claiming notices for materials not received and sending them to vendors, receiving exchanges and gifts, etc.;
- Pre-cataloging searching of usable Tibetan records in OCLC and other bibliographic databases to find a matching bibliographic record for new titles (monographs and serials); making decision on acceptance of cataloging copy.
- Copy cataloging of existing records including proofreading, evaluation, and making limited adjustments to the bibliographic records following established guidelines, comprising series verification, correction of typographical as well as tagging errors, and call number verification, notifying Tibetan cataloger of discrepancies in names, series, and non-series uniform titles appearing bibliographic records and corresponding authority records, exporting completed bibliographic records from OCLC to CLIO, and, whenever necessary, overlaying existing CLIO records, creating and updating of holding and item records in CLIO;
- Enhancing preliminary records in CLIO for titles that lacked complete bibliographic information when ordered before shelving them in pre-cat area;
- Processing Tibetan added volumes including updating both in OCLC and CLIO, maintaining and
correcting records for cataloging problems both in OCLC and CLIO;
- Gathering and/or collating serial materials for binding and preparing binding forms for serials or
monograph material including damaged items using various files, updating serial check-in records in CLIO, sending binding materials to Bindery, updating and creating of holding and item records in CLIO when receiving bound serials, maintaining and reporting monthly statistics, etc.;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
Tibetan language test will be administered if interviewed.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and flexibility with job assignments.
- Strong computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Tibetan language and culture. Language test will be given if interviewed.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of Chinese language preferred.
- Familiarity with Sanskrit and ability to read Tibetan cursive script preferred.
- Previous acquisitions and/or cataloging experience in libraries preferred.
Submit an application on-line at: https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=150115
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.