Department: UC San Diego Library
Hiring Salary Range: $19.89 - $22.59 / Hour
Appointment Type: Career
Appointment Percent: 50%
Work Schedule: Days, 4 hrs/day, Mon-Fri
The East Asia Serials Specialist maintains the UC San Diego Library Serial standing order and subscription records for all formats, both physical and electronic. This position is independently responsible and is the primary resource for the management of the Chinese, Japanese and Korean serial records. Approves payment for invoices, claims serial issues, processes serial and, bindery receipts and maintains serial holdings records.
- Reading knowledge of Chinese and/or Japanese language(s) sufficient to identify bibliographic elements of serials, including but not limited to; title, date, issue, frequency and billing information and to interpret basic correspondence.
- Ability to transliterate Chinese, Japanese and Korean scripts into Romanized characters for acquisitions processing.
- Library experience with knowledge of library terminology, bibliographic element, and publishing patterns of serial and monographic publication rules relevant to serials acquisitions.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written, ability to communicate courteously, effectively and persuasively while dealing with a variety of people.
- Ability to seek out discrepancies and resolve problems independently.
Direct link to the job posting
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html