The Columbia University Libraries invite nominations and applications for the position of Chinese Cataloger.
Under the general direction of the Head of Technical Services, the Chinese Cataloger provides bibliographic control over Chinese resources in all formats acquired by the Columbia University Libraries by creating bibliographic and authority records in national databases and importing them into Columbia's local catalog and other repositories. The Chinese Cataloger also performs complex database maintenance and data enrichment on existing records. S/he is expected to keep abreast of new and emerging cataloging and metadata practices and tools, and actively participates in local and external professional activities.
1. Provide original cataloging as well as complex copy-cataloging for Chinese materials in all formats following national standards as well as local policies.
2. Perform associated authority work at national level.
3. Maintain the quality of bibliographic data for Chinese materials.
4. Train and supervise Chinese Bibliographic Assistant and student assistants in cataloging duties.
5. Provide assistance to other colleagues regarding Chinese cataloging/metadata as needed.
6. Participate in special projects and undertake miscellaneous assignments as required.
Additionally, the Chinese Cataloger is expected to participate in the 2CUL (Joint Cornell University and Columbia University initiative), especially in regard to cataloging and metadata activities.
• Master degree in library and information science from an accredited program in North America.
• Native or near native level of English and Chinese languages (including knowledge of traditional & simplified Chinese characters) and in-depth knowledge of Chinese history and culture.
• Familiarity of Chinese Romanization rules—the Pinyin System.
• Knowledge of cataloging/metadata standards and reference tools, including RDA, LC-PCC PS, AACR2, LCRI, LCSH, LC Classification Schedules, PCC & CONSER cataloging guidelines, as well as MARC and non-MARC Formats.
• Good computer skills, including word-processing for English and Chinese, as well as knowledge of bibliographic databases.
• Excellent collegial, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Original cataloging and authority work experience using bibliographic utility (e.g., OCLC Connexion) and local library systems in North American libraries.
• Knowledge of cataloging issues for East Asian materials and/or experience in working with East Asian collections.
• Experience in batch processing of bibliographic records and metadata.
• Good organization and project management skills.
The C.V. Starr East Asian Library is one of the major collections for the study of East Asia in the United States with over 1 million volumes/pieces of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tibetan, and Western language materials and over 8,500 periodical titles.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth, are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits including assistance with University housing.
Applications will be accepted immediately and until the position is filled, however applications submitted before October 1, 2013, will receive priority consideration.
For immediate consideration please apply online at:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer