The UC San Diego Library is committed to supporting academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
About the Position
The Data Services and Collections Librarian is the leader within the UC San Diego Library for managing and providing data and statistical services, with a focus on social science data. The position reports primarily to the Director of the Library’s Reference & Research Advisory Services Program with additional assigned responsibilities in the Library’s Collection Development & Management and Research Data Curation programs.
Responsibilities of the Position
• Provides leadership for the management and implementation of data and statistical services and collections.
• Serves as the specialist for dataset and statistical analysis for research assistance, assisting in person as well as virtual users and providing in-depth research consultations by appointment.
• Conducts data and statistics reference training (new and ongoing) for other reference providers and facilitates library communications about data and statistics resources.
• Selects and manages datasets, statistical materials in all applicable formats, and statistical software to meet curricular and research needs of the campus.
• Participates in and provides feedback for data-related local and/or UC-wide collection management activities and projects, including assessment of holdings, de-accessioning and relocating materials as needed.
• Engages with campus communities, providing a combination of targeted or specialized services, including instruction, for dataset and statistical software users.
• Provides general reference and research services both in person and virtually.
• Works with the Research Data Curation Program to develop data curation and repository services for social science collections.
• Engages with campus partners to make digital scholarly work and data openly discoverable and accessible for the long term.
• Partners with curation and subject librarians for data curation outreach to campus.
• Serves as the Library’s liaison to ICPSR and DDI initiatives and represents the UC San Diego
• Library at pertinent meetings and conferences.
Salary: Salary and level of appointment in the Librarian series commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on the University of California pay scales.
Closing Date: Application consideration begins April 14, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled.
To Apply: For full consideration, please submit applications to:
For more information and a full Position Description please visit:
Victoria Chu 朱慰慈
Director (interim), Reference & Research Advisory Services
& Chinese Studies Librarian
UC San Diego Library
La Jolla, CA