Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are conducting a search for Korean Cataloger and Librarian. To see the full posting, please click here: http://library.duke.edu/jobs/koreanlibrarian.html
Korean Cataloger at Duke University and Librarian at UNC
• 4 Years Term Appointment
• The Librarian and Cataloger for Korean Language Resources will perform original and complex copy cataloging at Duke and will develop the Korean collection at UNC, providing support to faculty, students and the library for information in Korean. At Duke, the position reports to the Head, Monographic Cataloging Section in the Cataloging & Metadata Services Department. At UNC, the position reports to Head, East Asian Resources. This position is for 30 hours per week and a 4-year term appointment.
1. Performs original and complex copy cataloging of Korean language resources in all monographic formats and subjects, and for other languages in which there is competence.
2. Ensures compliance with national and local standards such as MARC, RDA, AACR2r, LCSH, LCCS, OCLC, LC cataloging practices, and other appropriate cataloging and metadata standards.
3. Inputs and edits bibliographic, holdings, and item information as needed to ensure accuracy and completeness of information; determines choice and form of names, subject headings and series title entries; assigns Library of Congress Classification call numbers; enhances or replaces OCLC records within established guidelines.
4. At Duke, catalogs digital resources using the appropriate metadata schema to facilitate access to digital collections.
5. At UNC, develops and manages collections to support research and instruction in Korean Studies. Manages all technical processes related to collection development for Korean materials, including ordering, invoicing, monitoring expenditures, managing donations, corresponding with vendors, cataloging and compiling statistics.
6. At UNC, provides in-depth specialized research consultations and reference and designs strategic and pedagogically appropriate instruction for library users.
7. At UNC, serves as primary liaison to Korean Studies faculty and takes the initiative to identify, meet and facilitate ongoing communication about their research needs and service expectations.
8. Serves as a resource for and assists with training and revising the work of new staff and student assistants performing similar work.
9. Stays abreast of national trends and new developments in cataloging, with an emphasis on Korean language resources; reviews professional literature; and networks with research services, collection development and other library professionals outside the University.
10. Contributes to library-wide initiatives; participates in departmental and library-wide activities; serves on library committees and task forces.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Library staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: MLS from an ALA accredited program or a combination of relevant education and experience.
Preferred: Advanced degree related to Korean studies.
Send cover letter, detailed resume and the names, addresses (mailing and e-mail), and telephone numbers of three references to: Teresa Tillman, Library Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include KOREAN in the subject line. Review of applications will begin in mid-September and will continue until the position is filled.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Korean Studies Librarian
Duke University, 235 Bostock
Box 90195, Durham, NC 27708-0195