Duties and Responsibilities:
- Selecting and condensing articles from the Chinese press for translation and inclusion in a weekly digest;
- Writing headlines for feature articles and entries for the table of contents;
- Editing Chinese-English translations of articles from the Chinese press, including verifying their accuracy;
- Translating Chinese articles into English as needed;
- Coordinating the digest's production schedule and supervising staff as needed;
- Serving as an authority on questions regarding policy, terminology, style, etc.
- A college degree (MA preferred) in Chinese, Chinese/East Asian area studies or a related field;
- Ability to efficiently scan and read the Chinese press, condense articles;
- Knowledge of and interest in current Chinese affairs, including economy, military, ecology, education, law, and culture;
- Prior Chinese-English translation experience;
- Prior English-language writing and editing experience;
- Ability to meet weekly deadlines;
- Proficiency in MS Office, familiarity with Adobe InDesign a plus.
Published weekly, The Current Digest of the Chinese Press presents a selection of Chinese-language press materials, carefully translated into English. The Current Digest's mission is to provide the reader with a broad picture of the news presented to the Chinese public, be it domestic, regional or international. Features and articles included in The Current Digest are selected with an eye to providing the greatest depth of coverage possible, including both the facts surrounding pivotal events and commentaries on underlying causes, the broader context and potential future developments.
Note: This position is located at East View Information Services' Minneapolis headquarters.
Applications: Candidates should submit a Cover letter, resume and short writing sample to email@example.com.